Monday, December 14, 2009

Lavished With Lace



My mother, Marilyn, is one of the most giving, beautiful, loving people I know. She has always sacrificed her own needs to meet those of her family and others in her sphere. She is a true testament of all that Christ calls us to be. This year for Christmas she sent me the most beautiful package of lace and a gorgeous little gumdrop of a book called Candy Land, published in 1928/1931 by McLoughlin Bros. I collect old books with the Candy Land theme and have several now. I also collect old versions of the game, but need to update them as I have let my children play with them and we all know what that leads to! The lace came in a gallon size baggie and all of it is Edwardian, except for one nylon flounce! I believe some of the pieces to be handmade bobbin lace and I know some are hand made crochet and filet crochet. They are all just stunning and I am still pinching myself over this most beautiful of gifts! And can you believe, she told me, that she found these pining away in an antique store for only $5~ Yes, you read right! That made the gift even better as we are bargain shoppers extraordinaire! I shall have great fun using these in many projects to come! Thank you Mom! You are the BEST!

3 comments:

Tristan Robin said...

what a wonderful gift - good on your mom!

Rella said...

What a lovely post...missing my Mom as I do, it gave me such joy to read this. What a beautiful find and I know you treasure it for many reasons.

xo Rella

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Lovely place! Blessings.